Activities at New Brighton Union
Many good things happen at New Brighton Union! On our site we hold weekly services in the beautiful Chapel of the Waves. We also run a successful social enterprise called the Purple Door Boutique Opportunity Shop. Some of our other regular activities and events include:
- Hospitality every week in the Village House through the Tuesday coffee outreach, and Thursday community lunch;
- Loopy Tunes, a movement and music activity for pre-schoolers, every Monday morning during school term. Gold coin donation. Visit their Facebook page for more information;
- Seaside Seniors, a twice a month programme offering support, entertainment and educational outreach for older people;
- In November we are launching the Deep Water – Centre for Justice, Peace and Ecology. Watch for exciting developments in 2020;
- In the Village House we have a small community library, with a wide variety of books but a strong spirituality section;
- We also operate the Community Book Exchange in an old fridge between the steeple and macracarpa in Collingwood Street.
Our facilities are all available for hire for community use. We see them as a vital community resource in an area of the city where new facilities are rare. The Chapel of the Waves (seating capacity 40) is a beautiful venue for small wedding ceremonies.
Regular Community Users of our Facilities
WEA Tai Chi Class
Tutor: Geraldine Parkes.
Contact WEA: 03 366 0285
During school terms, every Monday 1.45-2.45pm in the hall.
South Brighton Voices
Contact: 03 388 5456
Wednesdays 7.00-9.00pm in the hall.
Monday 3.45-5.30pm &
Patricia Paul School of Dance
Tutor: Patricia Paul
Contact: 03 372 9191 or [email protected]
Monday 3.45-5.30pm (school age)
Tuesday 9.45-10.15am (pre-school age)
Mondays 10.30am (school terms)
A movement and music activity for pre-schoolers.
Every Monday morning during school term.
Gold coin donation.
Visit their Facebook page for more information.
NZ Sign Language Classes
These classes are for students to gain a general understanding of the Deaf community and their culture, identity and language. Various levels available, check the Risingholme website for up to date class information.